Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Taking Flight


It`s funny....after a week of planning, shopping, creating, cooking and then all the activities on Saturday and Sunday....I would have to say that my most favorite memory of Easter this year was an hour on Sunday that was totally unexpected. It wasn`t in the schedule , nothing anticipated, I didn`t have to gather ingredients for it, or follow a list to create it. I`m finding more and more that these moments are TRULY the most precious.




It started with 2 kites in a basket and a field of fresh spring grass. Andrew has always loved flying kites...and living on the coast he often has the opportunity to enjoy windy afternoons and his favorite kite on the beach. But Amber is a novice flyer... and I giggled as Andrew led her (kites in hand) to the grassy field by our house. It was his turn to be the "teacher" and I watched as he carefully unwrapped the kites... though Amber didn`t quite understand what this thing was all about...or what it would do, she was just itching to get her hands on it!


I sat in the tall grass and just watched... they talked, she asked questions, he got annoyed (LOL). But it wasn`t long before Ambers kite was in the air...she was so amazed and just totally thrilled. Such great joy over something so simple. As Andrew handed her the end of the string and told her she had to hold it...a huge smile came across her face. I sat there and watched her as she stared up that kite. The wind held it high, then it would dip as the wind died momentarily to a breeze. Then back up again. I just watched....she held tight....and a few times she looked over at me as if to say "I`m doing it !! ".


I couldn`t help but think of life....about my children....about my many blessings. About how such little things can touch your heart and become precious.. It was peaceful....it was quiet...and then...
Amber`s kite came crashing down.
She was instantly annoyed by this. The string got tangled as she tried over and over again to throw the kite back up into the air. Andrew tried to help but his patience as a "teacher" was long gone.
In the background was the faint call of "...something is burning" Of course it was the chicken on the grill. Amber was now totally mad and marched off towards the house....it was time to reclaim her basket and endulge in some candy.
Andrew was done...and walked away grumbling to himself . Kites and sisters just don`t mix!!! The kites now lay still on the ground encircled by twisted and knotted string...
It was over....the moment was gone...it came and went so fast and now... Back to the PLANNED activities.

I walked away from the field and sighed....it WAS a peaceful moment....it WAS a sweet time.
I`ll treasure it... as I do ANY quiet and unexpected moments that happen to creep into our busy and planned life.
Now on to remedy the burnt chicken...hmmm I hadn`t planned on that either! LOL




Take the time....GO FLY A KITE!
Laurie






2 comments:

gillian said...

How fun! And how nice to have those moments. Not the burnt chicken one... you know what I mean.

We got a kite shortly before Easter. The tree got it shortly after that. :)

Amelia LOVES Amber's kite!

Welcome to blogland, BTW!!

~gyl

Laurie said...

Thanks Gyl !! I`m loving it so far!!
Laurie